The Prime Minister has announced changes to the guidelines. FromWed 13 May, people will be able to:
• Spend more time outdoors – for example sitting and enjoying the fresh air, picnicking or sunbathing
• Meet one other person from a different household outdoors, as long as they follow social distancing guidelines and stay a minimum of two metres apart
• Exercise outdoors as often as they wish, again following social distancing guidelines
• Use outdoor sports courts or facilities, such as a tennis or basketball court, or a golf course. This can be done with members of their own household, or one other person as long as they stay two metres apart.
However, people will still be unable to:
• Visit friends and family in their homes
• Exercise in an indoor sports court, gym or leisure centre, or go swimming in a public pool
• Use an outdoor gym or playground
• Visit a private or ticketed attraction
• Gather in a group of more than two (excluding members of their own household), except for a few specific exceptions such as funerals, house moves or in emergencies.
These changes represent significant steps forward for many sports and activities and it is good to see sports like golf, tennis and watersports resume in some form.
While many of us will be desperate to restart group activities , it’s important that we all understand the guidelines and continue to exercise safely.
Please see our website and the latest newsletter for details of our Virtual 5k Challenge and continue to stay in touch to share ideas and activities.